Our paramount concern is always people’s safety. Even if the Shelter in Place order were lifted, and we went ahead as planned, the chance of someone bringing the virus to Camp is high. The chance of it spreading, if it did arrive, is even higher. We would be negligent to promote an environment which would expose our Campers (many of whom are medically compromised already) to the risk of infection, or their families and friends on their return home.
Social distancing is impossible at Camp. We would be unable to operate our program without the physical assistance and personal care, the high-fives, the closeness and heartfelt hugs between friends, and the communal spaces, which all make Camp Krem the warm and caring place it is. This was not an easy decision and we have agonized over the many risks and considerations. I am sure you will share our disappointment, but hope that you will agree this is what is best for everyone. You are welcome to contact us with any questions.
This pandemic poses a serious challenge to Camp Krem and our sustainability. We are battening down the hatches so that we can get through this and now, more than ever, we need your support.
To withstand this hardship and bring down our overhead, we have, sadly, furloughed the majority of our amazing full-time staff. As sadly, we have had to release our many wonderful US and international college students. We have also shuttered the Camp’s facilities to reduce our costs and have suspended all site work. Having made these difficult decisions, we still have many costs that will continue, even with camp closed.
We know this is a difficult time for many. However, if you have the means, please consider making a donation. If you are unable to donate, you could help us by sharing our plea with your friends and family.
For 63 years, we have been fortunate to serve our campers and their families and we hope to continue doing so for at least that many more. With your support, we will make it through this! As soon as it is safe to do so, we will get Camp programs up and running. We will keep you informed of any updates. This is disappointing news, I know. Like you, we very much look forward to the time when we can safely gather together again around the campfire. Whatever happens with these upcoming months, Camp Krem’s values, spirit and mission aren’t going to be dampened by this virus. We will get through this, we will adapt and we will move forward.
Thank you for your love of camp and for being part of our community!